AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baling tractor locked in reverse....39th wedding anniv
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 6/3/2006 23:38 (#16814)
Subject: Baling tractor locked in reverse....39th wedding anniv

Central Kansas
My partner and I were baling off about 300 bales of brome grass late this afternoon, she was loading accumulator dumps, I was baling. I use a JD 2630 D for a baling tractor with the 348 little square baler. 70 hp, German made, 2 gear shifts (not so good). Left lever is I, and II range, Reverse, and a neutral. Right lever is 1-4 gears. Baling in I-4, had a jambed bale in the accumulator, backed up, put right lever in neutral and got off and cleared it (just like 7,000 times before). Got back on, couldn't move left lever out of reverse range. Tried everything...it is sometimes a little tough to shift anyhow. Shut her off, had Mom bring the 4020 around to pull it forward a little thinking this would clear it. WRONG!! Unhooked from the baler, hooked the 4020 on the baler (after changing the XXXX special pin hitch) and got them baled off and picked up on trailers.

This tractor has 1805 hrs, is a '74 or '75 and has always been a non synchro gear crasher. It was getting dark.....and is our 39th wedding anniversary!!!!...so I just pulled the little plate where the levers are and noted that an internal snap ring type of dealie was broken on the left lever. Other than that...this baby is STUCK. I can use the clutch and shift the right lever out of gear and into gear...let the clutch out and slide those little tires when pulled slowly so I don't think the dry clutch shot craps, do you?

Can't start it because I can't get the left lever back up to those little hook dealies that both levers have to be in for park. If I could get the lever in neutral I could probably start it.

SO...MSB and others, where do I start here...or do I just ring up Deer Trail Implement and have them drag this sucker to the shop. It ain't the best thing JD ever built, but a darn handy little machine for baling and raking. Your experience and suggestions are always appreciated.

Too late to go into town to Fat Boyz for a steak and beer...but I think I can make this right with my farmhand some way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)