AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvest-time meals on the go
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

plowgirl
Posted 8/23/2009 00:04 (#820974)
Subject: Harvest-time meals on the go

next to Plowboy

With corn harvest approaching, I find myself making lists of things to pick up at Sam's for the evening meals, and wanting to try some different meals this year.

The guys like the type of meals where they can "grab and go", such as hamburgers. And nothing too "heavy", nor a meal that requires a plate, fork and knife.

I generally don't have much time to prepare the meal, as I come home off the tractor, assemble the meal, load up and go back out. Over the years, I've discovered to take 3 coolers with me. A cooler for the hot food, one for the condiments and one filled with ice and drinks.

Here is my current list of meals-in-the field:

Hamburgers

BBQ beef

Pulled pork

Sloppy joes

brisket

sub sandwiches

fried chicken - ONLY if I get an afternoon when I'm not in the field!

Last year, I added chili dogs as a "side item". I also try to take a taco salad or potato salad and chips also. They always request my taco salad! With the brisket, I take roasted baby baker potatoes......they are new potatoes, that have the butter and seasonings on them. They come frozen and all I have to do is heat in the oven! Very simple and much requested! Cowboy baked beans are also something that goes with the BBQ meals.

I have a request for meatball subs for this year. I will give that a try.

Give me some other ideas for the "main course" and some sides. and desserts too!

(Sort of off the food topic, but I found this quite handy the last couple of years......I got an old water cooler - the type that stands up with the spigot toward the bottom - fill it with water, and have roll of paper towels and some soap handy so they have a hand washing "station")

Edited by plowgirl 8/23/2009 00:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)