AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stretching hay or selling part of the herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

toby
Posted 11/25/2021 09:18 (#9340263)
Subject: Stretching hay or selling part of the herd

Middle Tennessee
Running a small cow here of 130 females on rough Tennessee Hills. Each year I evaluate winter feed on Thanksgiving because we know when hay feeding will start and grass condition. For the first time in years, my hay number is coming up a little short with no margin for error. This year has been tough as we were extremely dry for a short period of time that stifled second cutting hay and fall stock piled grass. Also, our predominate grass ( 31 fescue )is not providing the grazing it once did. Many theories such as over grazing, disk mowers, seed is over a year old and the toxic virus is no longer viable past wet years providing for more crab gass to choke the fescue and many others. I have bought hay but going to be hard to come by at any reasonable priced now many have it in storage and feel the spike in urea will make it difficult to find hay next year. The smart thing will be to cull about 20 of my breeding stock and hope for a better year next year. If I wanted to stretch hay how could I do it with commodities as there is no corn stalks or such in our area??? I believe Garvo to be right. You are not broke till you are out of feed.

Toby

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)