AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pellet stove, more efficient?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Grain Hay Cattle
Posted 11/10/2018 07:30 (#7096666 - in reply to #7096226)
Subject: RE: Pellet stove, more efficient?

SW Ohio
We have a four year old cheap model pellet stove running now and it heats our main floor (where is is located) and the two bedrooms upstairs (it is placed near the bottom of the steps) great. The bathroom that is off by itself can get a little chilly, but the rest of the main level stays in the 70s and the upstairs upper sixties. We go through about 50-60lbs of pellets a day and are heating about 1600 sq ft. It is the warmest most efficient heat we have found for our old drafty house. We have added more insulation and put plastic on all the windows we haven't replaced yet. This makes a big difference too. Our house is fairly open, but not one-big-room open. Our stove has an automatic setting and can be set manually. I did a little looking around after we installed it and usually run it on manual now because it seems a little more efficient.

Things to check: Are you cleaning it often enough? Ours doesn't spit out as much heat when the ash box is full. Check around for better pellets. It's worth it to buy the best.

The pellet stove is warmer than our fuel oil and keeps us from having one more job of splitting wood. It also does a better job of heating our upstairs. We still spend money on our heat, but not as much as before the pellet stove.

I hope you figure out where you are losing heat or how to fine tune yours. We love our stove.

Sarah

Edit to add: I am wondering if the one you saw at Orschlens is the model we have. It has the extra large hopper and it rated from 1500sq ft I think. Wait for sales in a couple months, but you can get it for closer to $900.

Edited by Grain Hay Cattle 11/10/2018 07:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)