AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Employees...Asset or PITA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 11/8/2018 13:40 (#7092990 - in reply to #7092463)
Subject: RE: Employees...Asset or PITA

Rivers, MB
Lots of good advice. We had a FT employee for 5-6 years before he went home to farm FT. Our FT employee we have now has been with us for 18 months. Been an overall good experience. We also have 2 seasonal employees.

Have learned a few things now as an employer. In no particular

1. People are trainable. The guy we hired had next to no farm experience. But had been a town employee. Drove grader, payloader, truck etc. So driving farm equipment and getting his semi license wasn't a huge hurdle. A lot of your minimum requirements are on the job trainable.

2. Selling the benefits of your position will help. All I see in your ad is work, work and more work. Phrases like "flexible time", "lots of variation in tasks", "working outdoors" all describe a farm employee position from the positive perspective.

3. You get what you pay for. For what you are paying, you will have trouble finding someone with all those skills and the time to work those hours. I read on AgTalk once that "if all you are paying is peanuts, then all you are going to get is monkeys". The idea behind that saying has stuck with me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)