AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Tractor or Piece of Equipment That Broke The Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jd43
Posted 5/27/2018 08:54 (#6780657 - in reply to #6780572)
Subject: RE: The Tractor or Piece of Equipment That Broke The Farm

Northeastern Pa.
I started out with a 3130 and is still the most trouble free tractor on our farm. I then bought the most hated 2940 by most people that had 6000+hrs on it and we put another 6000 on it. I traded that for a new 6135E and then wished I had the 2940 back. So I guess I was lucky 2x and then struck out on #3. However our first combine was a worn out MF 410 that did everything it could to help my wife and I meet our demise. It did teach me about combines inside and out.
There are a lot of blue silo foundations around here on farms that went out. I think that company had the most aggressive sales team ever in ag. sales. I remember them coming to see me the year I started growing corn. Yep I had a huge acreage of 21 acres. He said for $28000 I could put up a 200 ton sealed silo. My reply was I only need a 60 ton corn crib and that's what I built. They sold silos to farmers that would have been way better off up grading their barns with the money.
Today I think it's way to easy to get money/ loans you can't begin to pay back even with good markets.
You can barrow big bucks from the bank. Then go down the road and buy a new tractor with green or what ever color company credit and not have a payment for a year. Then go in town and get a new pickup because it looks like you have good credit.
I talked to the brother of a BIG time crop farmer who went down in big flames and he told me they had a heck of a good time for about 10 years.

Edited by jd43 5/27/2018 08:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)