AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Tractor or Piece of Equipment That Broke The Farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 5/27/2018 07:46 (#6780531 - in reply to #6780421)
Subject: RE: The Tractor or Piece of Equipment That Broke The Farm

northeastern Ohio
I can't recall any piece of equipment taking an operation down. But I've seen guys build new/bigger dairy facilities and go out of business within a few years. I can even recall a couple that were abandoned before they were finished,,, never had a cow step inside.

I never understood how a Harvestore could kill a farm on its own, but they sure took the blame. Maybe it was the financing. Did they finance like a credit card company with interest rates at 24%????? They were oversold with some high pressure sales to guys that should not have bought one (all the neighbors have them, you should too!!!)

I am blessed to own 8 Harvestores with 5 of them currently being used to feed cows every day. I do all my own maintenance and rebuilding of the the unloaders, so I understand them pretty well. If you pencil out the costs, there is not much difference in annual feed costs between bags, bunkers, piles, and Harvestores... if you do your own maintenence and if you consider all costs on the alternatives (plastic, base, losses, ect). Would I build another Harvestore,,,,, NO,,,, but I'll use what I have until I need more storage.

(DSCN0049 (1) (full).JPG)

(222 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0049 (1) (full).JPG (111KB - 70 downloads)
Attachments 222 (full).jpg (94KB - 85 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)