AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

City ordinance question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 5/25/2018 05:57 (#6777584 - in reply to #6777571)
Subject: RE: City ordinance question

central - east central Minnesota -

linsal - 5/25/2018 05:46 I am involved in a variety of revitalization efforts in my local town (pop 5000). We have a number of buildings in the downtown area which are not being utilized (doors are locked, buildings are sitting empty). From the conversations I have had with aspiring business owners, the owners of the buildings want big city rental rates (the owners of the buildings do not live in the area). Is there a way, through city ordinances, to force the building owners to rent these buildings out? (e.g., fines after 360 days if the building is not open) This goes against my belief in free market systems, but I don't know of another way to get these buildings open for retail or other suitable businesses. The building owners appear to be content to pay taxes, perform minimal upkeep, etc. I should note that most of the buildings in question are mixed use (retail on the first floor, apartments on the second and third floor---the apartments are being rented out). Occupancy rate on rental properties is very high in the city. The aspiring small business owners need to pay realistic rents to have a chance. Any examples of ordinances? Are there other ideas? Thanks.

I doubt it, a government unit could not have such a ordinance, without great legal expense trying to defend (who's got the bigger legal budget) . . . .. . . but, a government unit could have a subsidy type program to offset the rent for a starting business or some other program to entice the land/building owner.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)