AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on Dowdy corn variety choice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DBFarms17
Posted 3/22/2017 11:48 (#5915483 - in reply to #5915356)
Subject: RE: Question on Dowdy corn variety choice

I have no intention of Shamming anyone... I have just as much respect for what my Grandpa/Family did is pry what you do, but to that my grandpa had no intentions of growing 300+ corn, he told me it was impossible to grow 180 bushel corn till we hit that, new genetics/farming practices our allowing us to do different things, my grandpa made his money in hogs, told me everyday if it weren't for hogs we wouldn't have squat. today, hogs are good but don't quite do it like they did in the 70-80's with a farrow to finish operation. world has changed that is all im saying. So I apologize for any disrespect that I may have had, wasn't my intention.

I have been told that I come across as brash, just always been that way, no disrespect.

yes, to your shoot the moon question, your right he is pry limiting his upside is but at the same time he's raising his floor. Bracketing his corn yield per say.

Sort of like buying a put and selling a call, you cap your bottom and your top but where he is capping it I don't see much problem. Why take the risk on bugs and disease?

Your operation is your operation, you need to do what you feel is right. I'm not telling you to plant GMO or non-gmo was giving you a general description of his logic

Per my previous response on insurance his deductible is lower and his payout is lower but he is mitigating risk.

Back to NCGA contest. they say you have 650-700 bushel in every bag, from what he is already doing you may pick up an extra 10% from what ic. at 550 bushel corn that he is close to growing your talking about 55 bushel an acre.

Here is the problem, are you willing to risk 100-200 bushel on bug damage corn rootworm damage. What your insuring against to pick up 55 bushel. In those insurance tables they show us every year your cost of the extra out ways the advantage in my opinon.

From what I am gather you don't think much of my opinion so take it for what its worth.... pry not much

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)