AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on Dowdy corn variety choice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DBFarms17
Posted 3/22/2017 10:05 (#5915313 - in reply to #5915149)
Subject: RE: Question on Dowdy corn variety choice

Honestly, your not asking a fair question, Its more of a two part question.

On my ground am I better off planting Conventional or GMO corn..

That's only a question you can answer, do you have pressure whats your rotation, blah blah

You need to look at corn like you look at insurance what kind of coverage do you need on the farms.

At 200 bushel corn your insurance coverage doesnt need to be as high as 500 + corn

Second part of question.

If i am shooting for 500 bushel corn how do I manage my risks to ensure the perfect stand.

He is covering his a$$ that is it pry a little more yield punch in conventional corn but at 500 bushel the acre the seed corn cost per bushel is way different than 150-200 bushel.

I plant some of both, started because of premium and thats gone now but at this point it doesnt make sense to do all GMO i dont have the problems others do.

My risk is minimal, Best thing you can do is quit being a farmer and start looking at like a banker. That's what dowdy does, if your a farmer what he does doesn't make a lick of sense but he's pushing a pencil to everything.

His biggest advantage is he wasn't burdened by dad and gpa telling that's not how you do it, he just pushes numbers and rolls the dice. 5 year farmer making the rest of us look bad... me very much included
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)