AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spreading your own Fert/Lime VRT?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedred
Posted 9/28/2016 11:25 (#5553419 - in reply to #5552419)
Subject: RE: Spreading your own Fert/Lime VRT?

East Central Ia
I bought a spreader last summer with twin bin capability. Its pretty slick and works great but adds complexity especially when hauling bulk semi loads as you constantly run out of one product before the other. This can be managed and work fine but it takes some planning.

We haul split loads, front hopper potash, back hopper MAP or DAP. I usually have about a 65% potash 35% Phosphorus combo in the hopper.

I can just move the truck for forward or backward to fill the two bins.

Once fertility gets more even i see the cost savings not outweighing the hassle personally.

I am actually strongly thinking of going back to a single product system and spreading two years worth of DAP ahead of corn in the spring, and two years worth of Potash ahead of beans in the fall.

I am not using micros at this time but will start evaluating needs there more closely when my K levels are better under control.

I am top dressing a urea/AMS blend for my S needs. This means i can get semi loads of P and K wholesale with no blending for maximum savings.

We have a Rogator with a New Leader box and I was shocked how accurate it was when properly calibrated and run.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)