AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The right grain cart for strip till operation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 7/2/2016 21:49 (#5388063 - in reply to #5387126)
Subject: RE: The right grain cart for strip till operation?

Morris, IL
So do you not spilt the corn rows when strip tilling? "I was thinking it would be nice to stay off the corn row so the strip tiller doesn't have to run on compacted ground." this quote seems like two opposites so that is reason i ask.

Cart is J&M, yes on 120" spacing, we like it, was our first cart bought new 2005 ish i believe. When i think about the amount of bushels it has ran and how little upkeep it's quite amazing. Cart and combine are both on 30.5 tires, combine is 7720, cart is 750 bushel and we run them both to max capacity. Combine has 250 bushel extension and cart is filled full before leaving for semi. Reason i bring this up is i can sometimes find where the combine was and when it was full. Besides an area where semi gets loaded few times i can never fine cart path. I honestly don't now why that is, cart should be heavier. Maybe it has to do with more random paths, maybe combine is heavier then i think but i don't think it could be as much as cart. We run 750 bushel semi and it's really a quite nice setup, combine never stops moving, cart is very busy, and semi is always moving. We didn't plan that it just kind of fell together.

I would match cart to grain trucks and add another 100 bushel. Tri axles i'm betting your in the 600ish range maybe a bit more, a J&M 750 would be nice choice. While matching is nice, having a little room to spare is better. We top off on the go, and with typical 19-23% corn and close to 60lb. corn. On the third dump i look over to cart drive and take my hand off the steering wheel, that is there sign to let go of the throttle so i adjust hydro to top off. That works best for me. Oh and i would go with at least 800 metrics, 900 are better, don't get 30.5 bias, radial float so much better. Duals if fine by me, i know of one local has them on 750 bushel cart and doesn't seem bad idea, they don't knock down hardly any stalks. Tracks are better but i think for 750 bushel cart isn't needed.

Make sure you have a scale, our cart scale is a very important part of our harvest setup and we could shut down and get it fixed if it ever quit. It keeps track of actual bushels leaving every field, we have dryer so that is major reason. If you haul to elevator disregard. Also on our J&M we added hydraulic spout, that really helps. If you don't have someone to run cart save your money, i have couple of retired great uncle's that run cart for us in corn. Beans we just go with two guys and quite a bit of time between truck loads.

I hope this rambling help you or someone.

(IMG_1128.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1128.JPG (146KB - 25 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)