AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me understand GVWR and licenses
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Drilldo
Posted 2/6/2016 14:51 (#5092486 - in reply to #5090760)
Subject: RE: Help me understand GVWR and licenses

Texas
Sorry for the all caps below. Figured it was easiest to answer your questions as asked beside them.

caleb2684 - 2/5/2016 18:38

I am trying to figure out a what will it take to haul it and what is the most it can haul scenario?

F350 with a gooseneck flatbed.
F450 with a gooseneck flatbed.
What is the most I can legally haul and what license is required?

15,000# of actual load
20,000# of actual load
Will either of my above scenarios haul either of these weights?

PRACTICALLY YES, LEGALLY MAYBE, WITHOUT GOING PAST MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS -NO.

If I understand correctly the trailer GVWR is the maximum that the trailer can weigh. So a 30,000# GVWR trailer that weighs 9,000# empty can haul 21.000# of load? Right? CORRECT

But what I don't understand is the pickup truck. The F350 & F450 says it has a maximum conventional towing capacity of 19,000# and a GVWR of 14,000#.
What I want to believe is that the truck PLUS the weight the trailer exerts on the truck cannot exceed 14,000#.

CORRECT. WITH YOUR TRAILER AN LOAD HOOKED UP TO THE TRUCK YOU CAN NOT HAVE THE TRUCK AXLES WEIGH OVER 14K. THE CONVENTIAL TOWING REFERS TO A BUMPER PULL TYPE TRAILER. THEY TYPICALLY HAVE HIGHER 5TH WHEEL OR GOOSENECK TOW RATINGS. THE TOWING CAPACITY IN EITHER CASE REFERS THE THE WEIGHT OF THE TRAILER AND ITS LOAD. SO USING YOUR NUMBERS YOU CAN TOW A BUMPER PULL TRAILER UP TO 19K PROVIDED THAT IN DOING SO IT DOESNT MAKE THE WEIGHT ON YOUR TRUCK AXLES OVER 14K.

This would then lead me to believe that I can use a F350 or 450 with a 30,000# GVWR trailer to haul a 20,000# load with a Class B drivers license LEGALLY since the combined GVWR is over 25,000#?

NO YOUR TRUCK HAS A GVWR OF 14K. YOUR TRAILER HAS A GVWR OF 30K. YOUR COMBINED GVWR IS 44K. YOU NEED A CLASS A SINCE YOU ARE OVER 26K COMBINED AND TRAILER IS OVER 10K. A CLASS B LICENSE IS FOR A SINGLE VEHICLE OVER 26,000LB NOT TOWING A TRAILER IN EXCESS OF 10,000LB. IF YOUR COMBINATION WEIGHT IS OVER 26,000 AND YOUR TRAILER IS OVER 10,000 YOU NEED A CLASS A.

But what is the 19,000# of conventional towing capacity?

THE TOWING CAPACITY IS A MANUFACTURES RATING ON THE LOADED WEIGHT OF THE TRAILER YOU CAN TOW. THEY TYPICALLY REPORT TWO NUMBERS ONE FOR CONVENTIONAL (BUMPER PULL) OR 5TH WHEEL / GOOSENECK. FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN THE DOT DOES NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT OR CARE ABOUT THESE MANUFACTURERS TOW RATINGS. THEY CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVER THE GVWR OF YOUR TRUCK, THE GVWR OF YOUR TRAILER, YOUR REGISTERED WEIGHTS ON YOUR TRUCK OR TRAILER, AND THAT YOU ARE NOT OVER ANY INDIVIDUAL AXLE OR TIRE RATINGS. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH SCALES AND ROAD SIDE INSPECTIONS WHEN TOWING OVER MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS AND DID NTO GET A TICKET BECAUSE I WAS LEGAL ON GROSS AND AXLE WEIGHTS. THE KICKER IS IF YOU ARE EVER IN AN ACCIDENT THE LAWYERS CAN EAT YOU ALIVE IF YOU ARE OVER THE MANUFACTURER RATED TOW CAPACITY.

I hope my ramble makes sense and that someone can verify this information.

Thanks

Caleb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)