AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rye cover crop and spring strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 1/3/2016 14:34 (#5007786 - in reply to #5007167)
Subject: RE: trying to gain confidence planting corn in live cereal rye.

EC Nebraska
@Forty2366

I think it would have got about 4 gallons 6-24-6 in furrow. 110 lbs of N as AA preplant. Then the 150 lbs of AMS and 50 lbs of potash just after the pictures in that thread.

IMO, the key to getting away with this is to have plenty of freely available nitrogen and sulfur at V3-V4. I would add 5 gallons of thio-sul to your 2X2 if you can handle the extra volume. Rye that tall will have sucked up every bit of available N & S out there so you've got to make sure it's replaced for the corn. And if the rye is actually 2' plus when you kill it, I'd add an extra 15-20 lbs of nitrogen to the sidedress. That tall rye may not fully release it's nitrogen in time for this year's corn crop. (That's not all bad because it will go into the soil organic matter, but you do need to compensate or risk yield loss this year)

I think the potash at planting is good insurance, it may or may not pay. The Rye will have sucked up a lot of K, but if you have decent soil test numbers the soil will release more within days and corn doesn't start using a bunch right away. Plus, the rye will release its K much faster than its N. The rye will be shedding K rapidly as soon as it turns brown, which might correspond to the corn uptake timing. Your 9-18-9 in furrow may be enough, corn doesn't use a lot of K before V3.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)