AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rye cover crop and spring strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 1/3/2016 09:27 (#5007125 - in reply to #5007003)
Subject: RE: rye cover crop and spring strip till

East Central, Nebraska
im going to be doing the same. will let you know in a year.

the picture I am adding was planted to rye in the fall and I stripped half the field before winter came to maybe get a comparison of what to do in the future. the rest will be stripped in the fall and all of the rye will be killed at the same time in the spring. the stand of rye was fairly poor due to it being very dry for about 3 weeks after planting, but on the other hand it assisted in finishing harvest in the fastest time ever. if it works next year I will try stripping the rye at planting so that I am not wasting seed in the area will be destroyed by the strip. I have seen great results in past years planting into rye (that is usually dead at that time), the downfalls of doing so though were terrible field conditions (ground dry and hard as concrete or wet and slabbing and the seed trench not closing). Hoping to be able to take away the upsides of that scenario and create a perfect worked and fertilized strip to plant into. who knows though, just trying something different. to be perfectly honest, this field isn't exactly flat either. hoping this will also combat some erosion.

Edited by caseihfarmer 1/3/2016 09:29

(strip101.jpg)

(strip102.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments strip101.jpg (91KB - 92 downloads)
Attachments strip102.jpg (118KB - 98 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)