AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shoulder surgery questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Jim Dandy
Posted 12/4/2015 09:11 (#4938249 - in reply to #4938069)
Subject: RE: shoulder surgery questions.

NW Illinois Stephenson county
I've had both shoulders done. My biggest problem was they would "catch" on occasion and hurt like crazy for a couple of weeks. Also the right one I could not lift above my head. So I went to the local orthopedic surgeon, had MRIs done on both, had the risks explained, and with no promises had surgery on the right one 4 years ago. I waited too long (years, I milk cows and the show must go on). Several tendons had withered away, the "catch" was repaired, I thought I had reasonable success, but I will never be able to raise my right hand over my head. Three months later I had the left one done. All repairable, catch eliminated, but never as good as new. I'm glad I did it. A year later I had bypass surgery. One nurse would grab each arm and drag me and my lead butt back up the bed. I was medicated up and didn't notice, but I think they pull something apart in my left, because sometimes I will get a pain in the upper biceps when I use it a lot. I also have little strength raising it above my head.

I know one neighbor that had one repaired and cannot lift his hand over his head, but he is in his 80's and is going to live with it. A friend had both done at once (you had better have a very caring wife to do that) and claims a full recovery. I'm 60 and glad I did them, but not a full recovery. So you will have to decide if you can live with your problem or roll the dice and do surgery for a better outcome.

Suggestions: Get a lift recliner to sleep in, a very good investment for me, it also came in handy for bypass recovery. Do the physical therapy and continue at home. The surgeon said a year for a full recovery. Good luck on your decision! Getting old and dilapidated sucks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)