AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop fanatics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 8/17/2015 17:02 (#4738196 - in reply to #4737245)
Subject: RE: cover crop fanatics

I dont really think it is a fad....a lot of guys are still hesitant to try because either their no till or conventional systems are working for them now, and have the if it aint broke dont fix it idea, or they dont want to spend the extra money, and some dont have the time.
I am in the Maumee watershed, They are watching Lake Erie around here like a HAWK, just waiting and jumping if an Algal bloom takes off, and if it does, all you have to do is watch any Toledo news station, and you will hear "farmers" come up every time. If we do get another bloom, I think the EPA is really going to crack the whip hard, and eventually force a cover crop, which kind of is going on now. I dont have too much of a problem with the enforcement, but I just wish they would be honest and give all the facts of where the phosphorus and nitrates come from, its not just from our fields.
I am / been trying different things so at least I think I have a handle or a start on what works for me in my climate and ground.
FWIW, some of my better beans were seeded into cover crop and I was actually kicking myself for not seeding heavier, so I think they work, you just got to get that combination figured out, and it does not hurt to have Mother Nature on your side either, although I think she overstayed her welcome here this Spring.......
There are a LOT of guys on here that are making it work, and I am encouraging all the lurkers that read these posts, to not be afraid to reply good or bad experiences, knowledge is power too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)