AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rating Grain Hopper Trailers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 8/14/2006 08:28 (#35609 - in reply to #35585)
Subject: RE: only one semi?

If I'm close I can do pretty good, once I get move than 5 miles away I can't keep up, but we can't find anyone to drive a truck part time around here. Most times I can't even find any extra trucks. One man I can get once in a while wants 15 cents just to haul out of the field five miles during harvest. Trucks are dirt cheap after harvest, but not during.

It is an advantage to be coming home to our own system, takes me about 15 minutes to weigh and unload and I'm only in the field 3 or 4 minutes most times. By myself I'll get 12 to 14 loads a day and still be able to eat a late supper with my daughter. You also need to remember that most of our land is terraced and cutting out the terraces and finishing all the point rows takes a lot more time than straight rows. Last year on one particular farm about 5 miles from home one truck was just getting back as the other was getting out on the blacktop. It has a nasty, blind uphill turn to get out on the main road and it worked out pretty good that the truck coming back would be out on the road and talk to the one coming out on the 2 way so you didn't have to stop headed up hill while going around a corner. Most times neither of us had to wait, couple times the one on the road had to find a spot to squat for aouple minutes, and by the time the other one got out and he got into the farm and ready to load they would have enough corn they wanted to dump so they could get around in the mud better.

When we go to Bonner that's a different story, 18 miles one way. We try to find a third truck and do it when Charlie is available because 3 trucks will barely keep up.

Fiddled around and thundered all night, but less than .1 so far total. Radar doesn't look too promising so we're not going to get much from all of this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)