AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A sincere question for midwestern corn producers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/28/2015 07:53 (#4542172 - in reply to #4541689)
Subject: RE: A sincere question for midwestern corn producers.

southern MN
It worked out in the 1980s. Not so well, but its a semi-free market, it works out, it has to. Pendulums swing....

You have land, machinery, etc fixed costs. Do you turn it all over to the bank today, or plant a crop and hope you make a little or at lest not lose as much as if you did nothing?

If you don't like corn, what crop do you switch to? The prospects for beans is worse than corn, IMHO.

I was thinking $3.70 local price a few weeks/ month ago wasn't bad but the experts all said it will go up another 20 cents it always does hold hold hold out for the up tick.

Huh. Oh well.

There typically is weather scare left in the market yet the next 6 weeks. Typically. Maybe we have a perfect spring this year over the entire Midwest, always that 10% chance.....

What alternative do you have to planting corn? What else uses the fixed costs, the prepaid inputs, and offers a return?

My dirt produces pretty good corn, only fair beans, too late now for wheat and small grains do not pay the bills in this dirt. Too late for a hay crop seeding, and that is a small market easy to flood.

What else a person gonna do?

Its farming.

Planting corn is my best option, whatever is coming down the road.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)