AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A sincere question for midwestern corn producers.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

CHRIS ECNE
Posted 4/28/2015 05:37 (#4541975 - in reply to #4541845)
Subject: RE: A sincere question for midwestern corn producers.

East Central Nebraska
Clay, I agree with you totally. I raised $9 hogs too. Followed by two more years of losses. COP was in the mid 30's. What I remember about that time frame was that I was so far under the COP that no marketing opportunities existed. That situation pretty much wiped out the small producer for good. We are not even close to that situation in the grain sector. We are at modest losses now unless you are paying crazy high rent. Move corn to $2.50 with two more years of below COP, then the situation parallels the hog industry. That time period changed the hog industry forever. I hope the grain sector will be different but we will see.

A quick comment about production ag being a gravy train: Nebraska Farm Business, a farm accounting and financial consulting firm, released it's 2014 average cost of living of their 400 members at $110,000. 2012 & 2013 it was just under $100,000. With the gravy train leaving town, it will be interesting to see how long that kind of family living expense will continue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)