AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LASIK eye surgery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

sand85
Posted 3/24/2015 21:21 (#4475041 - in reply to #4474781)
Subject: RE: LASIK eye surgery

C IL
Not everyone can have it.

Some layer in your eye (cornea?) has to be thick enough for them to shave part of it off to make your eye have the right focal shape (the word is 'ablate'). Most people's is thick enough. Not everyone's. They can measure. More correction means cutting off more means you need a thicker layer.

They test the internal pressure of your eyes along the way. I assume it is a go/no-go test. I don't recall. Has something to do with how thinly they can skin that layer.

If you have dry eye problems, you don't want it (they told me this affects middle-aged and older women more than other groups). Your eyes will be permanently less moist afterwards. Mine are.

Your vision needs to be stable. Several years of eye tests to show your eyes are not changing shape. This tends to mean mid-20's and older.

Also, since this is cash-on-the-barrel medicine, you tend to get great service, but since there is no insurance company oversight, do your research on this. Different doctors with different prices, levels of experience, and equipment. The quality of the laser is a big deal, or so I was told.

I'm (still) young (29), had it 5 years ago, glad every day. Correction is perfect in one eye, good but not perfect in the other eye. No contacts or glasses for maybe 10 more years, then out come the readers, they tell me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)