AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low HP truck question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 1/30/2015 21:46 (#4351072 - in reply to #4350854)
Subject: RE: Low HP truck question

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Offroadnt - 1/30/2015 20:32
4WD - 1/29/2015 14:53

NO Harm

But it would be nice to see RPMs above 1100, and increasing somewhat. (I wouldn't recommend extreme lugging a diesel engine, at say 800 rpm and the load was so great, that the rpms couldn't increase, but you still keep your accelerator pedal to the floor= that would be abuse, because you should be downshifting, by then)

I read in a Cat 3406B drivers manual that it was fine to lug them down to a thousand for up to ten seconds. "If you can see the crest of the hill don't bother shifting" was what was written, you can almost count the cylinders firing at that speed. I timed it also, ten seconds is a surprisingly long time. Also the way a Cat engine is governed it'll give you full power no matter where your throttle is set above actual engine speed.

I agree, about the crest of hill comment, and being able to lug below "peak torque" for a short time. They also assume, that after the crest of the hill; the road, will either level off, or go downhill; thus it gives the engine and exhaust time to cool down, somewhat, after such a hard pull.

Generally, peak torque, on different 3406 models (A,B,C, and E), tend to be anywhere from 1100 -1260 rpms.(depends on HP rating, sometimes)

I figured I was safe, with the comment of : "RPMs above 1100 and increasing somewhat".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)