AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dakota Access Pipeline/Iowa Farmland Owners Assoc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lal cenIA
Posted 1/8/2015 15:28 (#4297255 - in reply to #4296855)
Subject: RE: Dakota Access Pipeline/Iowa Farmland Owners Assoc.

I was one of the few who helped start the Iowa Farmland Owner Assoc. The pipeline could cross our farm and I and my sister each thru in $1000 along with a few others who did the same. Doug Gross believes the best way to fight this is thru the political stream, legislation, and research. Each one of those takes $ to do.

I have gone to farm auctions or bought machinery that I have questionably spent much more than that $1000. And I thought that I could have much more than that $1000 to lose. Our father, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers have fought for our land and I believe the we need to stand up and fight now for it.

When NG lines leak, the gas goes to the air. When a crude oil pipeline leaks, this is what can happen: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-oil-pipeline-break-under-nd-far... .

The Dakota Access people stated in their literature that 43% of the pipe and material will be foreign made. How many times have you broken shafts, bearings, and/or gears and have seen different gray material, where it was weak? Since this pipe can carry 570,000 barrels/day (31.4 million gals), a 1% leak could cause a 300,000 pond any place. Since Iowa only requires a $250,000 bond, with a LLC company, who will pay for the damages?

But the fear that I have the most is if a private, for maximum profit company is given the right for Eminent Domain, a precedent will have been made and in 5-10 years, the only power you will be left with is to pay your property taxes. The Eminent Domain issue is the one that needs to be fought the hardest to protect. This is not a public utility that is regulated by the IUB.

It is much better to have 1 voice magnified 100X, than to have 100 voices yelling in different directions. So please join.

So, yes, I think that $1000 could be one of the best investments you make to protect your land.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)