AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dakota Access Pipeline/Iowa Farmland Owners Assoc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lal cenIA
Posted 1/8/2015 16:43 (#4297400 - in reply to #4297350)
Subject: RE: Dakota Access Pipeline/Iowa Farmland Owners Assoc.

For the environment, I don't think the pipeline is good. In 2012, ND had 139 pipeline leaks. With Iowa's million miles of tile, it could be days before the leak could be located.

I have had the interstate, 2 high voltage transmission lines, and a natural gas line come thru our farm. None of those could permanently damage my ground. Also, the 3 companies that sell the energy are regulated by the maximum profit allowed by the Iowa Utility Board (IUB). Also each of those 4 either helped me, my neighbors, or my community. The DAPL said they would save/make $42 billion in the ~20+ years for a cost of a few 100's million. As I understand that this crude has 15% natural gas in it so when it comes to Texas, it can be "refined" and then put on the world mkt. Basically, no one in Iowa benefits, one criteria for eminent domain.

This use of eminent domain is different than Mid-America. This use of eminent domain is what bothers me. Even Mid-American being owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Mid American is a public utility, regulated by the IUB. In this case, the DAPL is not regulated and by giving eminent domain this opens up the avenue of the govt giving the access of commercial ventures to take over private ground.

Canada is now proposing that each pipeline built have a $1 bil bond, for they are seeing too much environmental damage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)