AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting view of ND's oil wells
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

vailcat
Posted 11/26/2014 13:48 (#4202882 - in reply to #4202621)
Subject: RE: Great graphic, now I know where ......

NCND
Id bet the amount of drill pipe buried here is miniscule compared to the amount of garbage buried at your average New Jersey or any NE coast landfill. Speaking of Jersyor the east coast as a Landfill why don't we just bury the Nuclear Waste there? Thats where all the people are who use all the energy. Not us folks out in the middle. Too few of us to count for anything.

If you want the number you should be able to open a well file at the NDIC and see the entire drilling report. The casing weights would be in there along with all the other goodies. Everything you could ever want to learn about oil can be had at that site. Some does take a subscription that is not bad at all $30 a year I think.

COntamination is always possible. However all wells here have 3 rings of casing all cemented with a production liner on inside. This concentric ring is 16" across at surface and thru the deepest aquifer. This is how contamination is contained. The casing will have a psi rating and they are all tested prior to any completions of casing, stimulation procedures, flowback and production. If pressure is lost the well is abandoned and typically a new well is spud right next to the bad case job. Not a normal thing to happen but if it does that is typically how its handled. Much less risk.

Im not saying there has never been a contamination of any water I'm merely pointing out that these wells drilled here today are done with safety thought of first and foremost. We are under the microscope and when your under the microscope every mishap is magnified a million times.

When the deepwater rig blew up it was blamed on a bad cement job. Didn't allow it to set up I do believe long enough IIRC. Just an example of what screwing up the casing or cement job can do.

There are risks involved in everything but what do we do? The pro ethanol side always states they have lowered the price of gas so I think its safe to say that ND, TX and other states have also contributed to the lowering of gas prices. BOth have their drawbacks as we loose native grass and pasture to row crop farming as the media is happy to point out or cattle that produces that terrible methane gas that is the reason for any change in the weather we experience and then there is oil production which raises hell in its own ways too. What is the alternative? Us folks who produce food, fuel or both will always get the blame for any negative side affects from what we do. Imagine a world without production agriculture or oil? What would we be?

Its best to understand how things work and educate those who don't.

EDIT to add that article that was floating around about farmers "drenching" their wheat with roundup. The word is a touch on the strong side but the uneducated will go with it not knowing that 26 oz of roundup is the max label rate I believe can be applied to spring wheat. 26 oz over 43560 square feet is hardly a drenching. In the discussions here did anyone make light of the fact that round up is only applied after the wheat is physiologically mature which means nothing is transmitted to the kernel? The little i read many guys didn't even know that it was used on wheat. And we are farmers!!!

Edited by vailcat 11/26/2014 14:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)