AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting view of ND's oil wells
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

vailcat
Posted 11/26/2014 07:29 (#4202136 - in reply to #4202013)
Subject: RE: Interesting view of ND's oil wells

NCND
Well I read the article now and it has it's usual negative leanings.

They did investigative reporting and found out where all the wells are. News flash that is public record and anyone can goto state site and see the wells themselves.

There are roughly 8500 bakken pool producingm wells in the state. 11000 counts all wells not just bakken. This number is pulled directly from here:
https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/stats/historicalbakkenoilstats.pdf

The map shows production in sw part of state and you would gather by the article that it is bakken pool oil. The sw part of state is actually red river production and is mostly vertical wells.

I did some quick figuring of my own to put all this into scale we can all see. If you were to take all the drill pipe from well bores of the 8500 producing bakken wells and if they were pulled out of ground and stacked upon one another they would cover an area in circumference and approximate volume of exactly the Eisenhower tunnel! I used 3" for well horizontals. Avg horizontal is 9-10k feet. Eisenhower is 1.69 miles long so we'd have some pipe hanging out the ski slope side of tunnel but they would roughly fit inside it. I say roughly because my calculations have me about 8900 strings of pipe could be stacked in the tunnel. These are rough calculations but lets keep all these well bores in perspective. The state is not going to collapse any sooner than the Eisenhower tunnel will due to all these holes in the ground! So in layman a terms the sum of all bakken wells the hole in ground is exact same size of the Eisenhower tunnel. Only difference those well bores are spread out over 17000 square miles not one lonely mountain peak.

Lastly then ill quit but these two reporters are here on a monthlong investigation and the best way to describe the oil drilling is that " all, almost 40,000 miles of well bores have been drilled underground to connect the fracking operations to surface wells."
You do not connect surface wells to fracking operations underground. Fracking operations take place above ground at the surface well. The way it is written leaves way to much to your avg east coast joe to form their own idea how all this gets done. If I were to read it I would almost guess there is some operation down underground wholly independent of the well head and somehow the two need to be connected. It reads as if fracking happens first then they drill. It is a very poor way of describing the process in a couple of sentences.

When reporter just gloss over facts to make things look better or worse it really gets my goat. Especially when it comes from a rag such as the New York Times. Maybe the minot daily news should come to manhattan and do a special on all the buried power lines in ny? I could write the article from here. Make grand claims of all the "hidden" power lines in the state and I would uncover them by showing what the state would look like if they were all above ground the same depth they are underground! Oh the humanity. New Yorkers need some lessons outside the concrete jungle but it would be best if they took those lessons elsewhere instead of coming here and continually trashing this state.

Edited by vailcat 11/26/2014 07:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)