AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cultivating corn in 1948 pic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 11/25/2014 21:37 (#4201662 - in reply to #4201524)
Subject: RE: Cultivating corn in 1948 pic

SW “Ohia”
Curt,

Again, excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Cultivating is a fun activity. Spent many a day riding on Dad or Grandpa's knee while cultivating tobacco. I own the tractor now, a 1953 Farmall Super C with two row mounted cultivator. Needs a overhaul and paint job, but that is a few years down the road. Also own his main tractor, a 1956 Ford 860, his 2-bottom JD plow, 8ft. JD "KBA" disc, and 1-row Holland setter (with bracket to mount the water tank to the front axle of the Ford). The 860 was restored following a fire in 2010, and I hope to restore the implements when I finally build a shop. Heck, if tobacco prices keep going up, this stuff might get busted back out for the first time in a decade.

The 2005 buyout really killed the tobacco industry around here, which I think is a shame. Ripley, just a few miles down the road, had the only tobacco warehouses in Ohio and still holds a yearly Tobacco Festival. Maysville has lost a ton of history as the warehouses have been torn down. It was a family-centric crop that allowed many 5-10 acre guys to make a decent amount of money off small acreage. Now those old patches are grown up or baled for hay.

The fellow I work for has been farming since the 1950's. He owned (and used) a check planter to put in his sweet corn until just a few years ago. I think there may still be a spool of check wire hanging in the corn crib.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)