AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 9/5/2014 10:31 (#4057127 - in reply to #4056222)
Subject: RE: Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work

Northern Illinois
when I use the word "you" in this post I mean the generic you not ben5398.

that is exactly my point. Try doing it yourself. Maybe you lose money. Maybe you find out that bankers will not loan you money. Maybe it is just to hard to get started.

my point is that if your fathers are in their mid 50's or so they went through all this before and were able to survive. I am in my mid 50's and I know what it was like in the 80's and 90's. I went into the bankers office not knowing if they would let me farm another year or not. I know what it was like when paying bills needing to select which ones to pay and which ones to let go another month. I know what it is like to try and buy the best piece of used machinery and make it work because buying new or almost new was out of the question. My point is that it was not easy for your fathers to get where they are today. Maybe if you and the OP struck out on your own you would have a greater understanding of why the older generation may do things the way they do. Maybe you would realize that the older generation is finally enjoying the fruits of their labor. Besides do you really what the success you have as a farmer to be because the older generation gave you the success?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)