AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dead calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

mn_feeder
Posted 8/1/2014 17:49 (#3996962 - in reply to #3996947)
Subject: RE: dead calf

MN
It could be. The way you described the dead one as just up and dying I'd be more likely to think it was something besides pneumonia... But with dead calves always assume lung issue until proven otherwise!

On the sick one breathing hard. Could be myco, could be myco opens them up to an opportunistic organism ... Like pastuerella. If it were my calf I would start with draxxin, and tube electrolytes (with a dose of liquid aspirin.) Then monitor and provide supportive therapy. Provide it it's own pen and tube electrolytes and run sulfa and aspirin in the water. If still looking droopy or breathing hard I'd use excede. I should say I'm not a huge fan of ctc the feed. Like to put in the water. I start groups alternating sulfa and tetracycline in the water.

Another possibility is you have BVD in the group. Maybe a BVD-PI? Have you had the group ear notched? If not I would do that. If it's BVD you're battling, you need to find the PI and cull it.

Final note, when I have one sick or did, I definitely redouble my monitoring of the remaining group. Always think if I missed one I probably missed more. Early detection and treatment is so important. So I guess I'd start catching and taking temps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)