AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 4/19/2014 10:28 (#3824910 - in reply to #3823978)
Subject: RE: The Reason for Shorter Lenght . . .

ecmn
iseedit - 4/18/2014 19:29

This would be for recovery of snow plow truck out of road ditches. Basically the truck is off the shoulder of road, in front first. Not far off the shoulder, to speak of, but I supposed - a guy could get out there further.The roadways are not wide, so a longer rope, I'm thinking, would end up pulling the truck sideways more then straight out ? So, new question - what length should be considered ?

20-24 ft wide roads, generally.

I plow with my uncle for the city. when the truck gets stuck if we are using the grader to pull it out we scrap the road to the gravel so we have good traction. hook it short will give you more pulling power and it pops the truck out quickly and easily.

if another truck has to pull out a truck. as the pulling truck is backing up turn on the spreader and lay down a lot of sand for traction.

in either case we use a chain and hook it short. first gear pulling and things come out slow and easy. safety isn't an issue since we are using traction, first gear and a short chain. if the chain broke it is going into the hitch area not up to the cabs. a truck driver getting pulled backwards has no safety concern unless an object can turn corners to get him. lol

most of the time pulling the truck out with a 20' or longer would make it very difficult. when I say hooked short I mean 6-8' between the two pieces of equipment.

with the grader on the clean gravel pulling as much sideways as backwards it will simply slide the truck on the snow sideways and back on the road usually within 20' of pulling.

I see no need for a snap strap or running starts, that is when things break. the city has nice equipment and we need to take care of it.

Edited by easymoney 4/19/2014 10:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)