AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 4/18/2014 18:54 (#3823928)
Subject: Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~

central - east central Minnesota -

I have many questions regarding tow ropes for recovery purposes, please help with your knowledge and experiences  . . ..  . .

I see there are many "synthetic" types of rope . . . . Which one to consider and why (Nylon, polyester, poly blends, polypropylene, etc)

Some will stretch 30%-40% - some only 10%-14% - Does it matter ? Why ? I know the stretch is kinetic energy, is that impacted if the rope only stretches 14% vs 40% ?

I think I understand the heat build up when the synthetic ropes stretch - how many times can you "snatch" the rope before heat could damage or break the fibers ?

I only need about a 15ft length . ..  .. does that matter as far as the amount of kinetic energy built into the stretch, to help with the recovery / snatchability of the rope ?

What's dielectric strength ?

What are the other considerations for recovery ropes (what else is there to know on ropes)

How about Straps ? Are they a consideration ?
Which will last longer ? Rope or strap ?

How about natural fiber types ? What do tug boats and such use ?

Oh - Needs to recover a loaded 80,000 lb truck out of ditches. So, how do you determine size or need (what size rope do you get) ? Double the strength . . . . . triple the listed strength?

I know, a lot of questions . . . . but the ropes are expensive and I want to know all I can, before laying out cash.

Chain is not a consideration - even huge ship chain . . . . . ..

TIA ! ! !

Edited by iseedit 4/18/2014 19:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)