AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 4/18/2014 20:24 (#3824106 - in reply to #3824080)
Subject: RE: Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~

central - east central Minnesota -

Thud - 4/18/2014 20:14 For what you are wanting to do I don't think you want a 'stretchy' tow rope, I think you want a recovery strap. The stretchy tow ropes would work good in situations where you have room to maneuver, like out in the middle of a field where you can get a run at things, store the energy in the rope, and 'slingshot' the stuck vehicle out of the hole. You are wanting to pull out snow plows,so I'm going to assume maneuvering space is limited,not to mention road might be ice/snow covered. Maybe I have an crazy imagination but I envision a snow plow in the ditch, the recovery vehicle starts its "run" the rope stretches and then instead of the stuck vehicle popping out the recovery vehicle loses traction and is shot backwards/sideways into the same ditch. I think you want a recovery strap with little to no stretch, a nice slow steady pull, under winter road conditions would be the safer bet in my mind. Are you talking municipal/state plows? If so, for liability reasons I'd leave recovery work to licenced tow operators, too many things that can go wrong,many of which can get expensive in a hurry.

Township . ..  . . currently using chains (talk about liability).

Recovery is simply too, too long - waiting for big tow trucks, not to mention the price (between $300-$600, goes by miles+winch time).

That's why I want to know everything I can about them . . . . . To get one that will reduce liability as much as humanly possible.
Everything has risk's and liability - I want to try and limit them as much as possible. I also know, it's not possible to have no risk's . . . . .

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)