AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ohiocutter
Posted 4/18/2014 19:23 (#3823970 - in reply to #3823928)
Subject: RE: Tow Ropes ? Many Questions ~

We have been using nylon ropes for 30 plus years. We use 2 inch diameter with loops braided back in on both ends. No metal hooks or loops. Use big, heavy screw type clevis on both ends and a good attachment point on each end of rope. I built our bumpers special to allow quick and sturdy rope hooking ( think oil field style). If you break a hook off the truck you could die! Amazing what you can pull out with a good rope and a operator that's not afraid to use it. We have "long" ones made from a 33 foot long piece which gives you about a 25 foot finished length, and "short" ones out of 15 foot long cut length for a 8 foot long finished length. The short one is for when we have a truck behind cutter opening or splitting a corn field. The long one only gets used if truck is in deep ( I mean tires are not really visible above ground). When the rope gets stiff or cut after a year of frequent use just throw it away. You can call Troyer Rope in Pennsylvania and buy one for a couple hundred bucks. 814-587-3879. We use our ropes a lot and would not be without them on our silage crew. The more stretch the better it works. If you want one for your pickup get a 1 inch rope. I have got silage trucks out of ditches with a one ton pickup and rope. I will probably get whipped on here for using "jerk" ropes, but I do not give a flip they work and are safe if done right. Chains are for binding down loads, ropes are for pulling!

(2 stuck trucks.png)

(truck 6 stuck.png)

(stuck cart.JPG)

(stuck cart 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2 stuck trucks.png (186KB - 128 downloads)
Attachments truck 6 stuck.png (217KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments stuck cart.JPG (186KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments stuck cart 2.jpg (338KB - 117 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)