AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Picking versus Combing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CactusWest
Posted 11/27/2013 10:06 (#3473653 - in reply to #3473444)
Subject: Re: Corn Picking versus Combing

I read all of the comments and want to say thanks for the interesting feedback, especially the humorous ones. As for a few of the obnoxious comments, well you always get a little chafe in good corn. I never ran a picker, but at 8 and 9 years old do recall helping rake corn out of the crib into the sheller. An IH 403 with 4 row head and 16 foot grain head was our first combine in the early 60's. Spend a lot of time on that baby. The picker concept appears most plausible perhaps for 50 to 100 acres or should one want to do some picking for cattle or hogs, as was suggested. I thought it would be good to take a litmus test on the subject matter. It was interesting to read that some farmers can still make it work. One interesting comment I liked was about perhaps considering scaling back and engaging in a simpler profile. Lot to be said for that. If you have high priced land and reasonable debt, plus add in the premium cost per acre for those planting the transgenics, then the playing field changes considerably. I am having fun now and do not have to worry about that. I guess it amounts to different strokes for different folks based on your operating structure and overall objects. Thanks again for the feedback
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)