AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Picking versus Combing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

garvo
Posted 11/27/2013 06:35 (#3472980 - in reply to #3471913)
Subject: Re: Corn Picking versus Combing

western iowa,by Denison
the only way you get anything done is to be in the seat-and have a reliable machine-500 acres of picking isn't the problem,its the person that is helping unload and etc-i was very lucky to have a hired man for over 13 years and a wife that could help unload the wagons,and then 3 children that helped me grind cribs and shell,in fact a lot of bored neighbor kids helped-they talk about how mean I was to work for-when 3 teenage boys take naps after dinner you know your workin them-1 is a deputy sheriff now,one a mechanic that everyone is try ing to hire and my son
Maybe the best thing about pickin corn was the physical work-grinding earcorn everyday-2 hours a day didn't seem impossiable back then-I still farm the same acres today as back then -in the 80's I had a proven yield on 1 farm that was 185 bushel-we also picked with a older neighbor-he was a fanatic about corn-twin row birch planter-he had 200 bushel corn every year-we picked a 7000 bushel crib full 1 day off 35 acres-my dad hated pickin there,couldnt get no acres-when Dad picked -he left the head on the uni in the safety stop-we always turned feeder cattle out so he didn't care-sometimes on short rows he just left them-if the original poster wants to pick earcorn I say go for it-there no reason why it wont work,repairs on pickers is not that hard-common bearings and easy to work on,at least he wont be bidding on more acres to rent,we never did-we didn't want more ground back then,we just wanted to be done by Christmas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)