AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How relative are seed test plot results compared to whole field results?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEIndiana
Posted 11/23/2013 15:56 (#3464096 - in reply to #3464064)
Subject: Re: How relative are seed test plot results compared to whole field results?

Columbia City, Indiana
I think you need to select a seedsman and a company you believe in who can you trust to give you honest recommendations for your farming practices and enironments. Chasing plot winners is a risky proposition at best because the weather from year to year is an ever changing variable, and at worst chasing plot winners could lead to a VERY expensive mistake. Very few, if any, farmers have the time to devote to this kind of research, so in my opinion it's best to leave it up to the professionals who do it for a living. There is so much involved in farming today that no one person can do it all, and seed selection is one thing that can consume A LOT of a farmer's time that could be better used elsewhere. I'm a DSM for a regional company, though, so maybe I'm biased. In my opinion, an on-farm plot is one good way to find out what varieties you want to avoid more than the ones you want to devote a lot of acres to.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)