AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your long term, say 30 years, projections on ag's future
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jonas grumby
Posted 11/19/2012 09:10 (#2705657 - in reply to #2705631)
Subject: Re: Your long term, say 30 years, projections on ag's future

Northern Illinois
I think one needs to define the term "ag". Yes I fully expect that more people will continue to make babies and those people and babies will continue to eat and may eat a better diet then in the past. I think one gets in trouble with terms like "bullish ag" because while I think there will continue to be more total dollars spent on food I don't think those dollars will continue to flow down to the tradional farmer. Just as one could have said 30 years ago that they were bullish auto sales. Worldwide the sales of autos has expanded but that has not been good news for the Detriot auto worker. I think 30 years from now ag production will continue in the US cornbelt but I think production will have exploded in areas that today are not known as ag production areas. Those areas imo will not be farmed by sole ag propriorters. They will be corporate farms. I think even in the US cornbelt most if not all producution will be done on corporate farms. These corporate farms may be owned by farm families today but the size will require a different ownership structure. I think if you plan to be in production ag in 30 years you need to really consider how you are going to be able to stick around that long. So while I am "bullish" ag I am very "bearish" the individual farmer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)