AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

growing 100 bushel wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 12/6/2010 08:06 (#1470562 - in reply to #1469619)
Subject: Re: growing 100 bushel wheat

Martinsville, Ohio
You did your ground work so now the job is topdress and disease control.

At 2 million plants per acre, about the minimum I need for 100 bu wheat, you need over 100 actual units of N to meet your goal, probably closer to 140 on soils like mine and yours.

You can't do that one pass efficiently so that means two applications minimum.

A shot of urea early really helps SRWW get going when it breaks dormancy then it is off too the races. How much N will it need?

Consider 50 units of dry urea or urea and AMS if you need more S on frozen ground. I don't like the tracks and the frost burn but you need to get some more N early, maybe February? Last year we had a narrow window in late Jan and most missed it.

Within 30 days in with another 70-90 units of N, often 28 UAN here.

If it is really thick and good and disease is controlled, another small shot of N could be needed, and ammonium nitrate is hard to beat on that pass.

Tissue tests from the last crop and the new wheat crop help me gauge where I am on nutrient balance.

A pound of actual Boron is often needed to maximize yield in our southern tier soils but balance of all nutrients is important.

I had barley and wheat that broke the 150 bu number on the yield monitor but final avg yield is where it is at.

My yields were down but I had the highest TW I ever had, 61 lbs across 500 acres.

Best wishes on your quest for 100 bu SRWW.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)