AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

growing 100 bushel wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 12/6/2010 09:11 (#1470667 - in reply to #1470608)
Subject: Re: growing 100 bushel wheat

Kentucky

whitedirtfarmer - 12/6/2010 07:34 Thank you Ed, that is going to be a big help. What is the part about S on frozen ground? Are you saying that on frozen ground I would need to add Sulfur to it, and if so, how much? Also, could you give any advice on fungicides. Rates, application timings, products, any more advice is appreciated. Thanks again!!

I think that Ed is saying that if you need S, the time to put it on is the first application.   The first application many years MUST be made on frozen ground because the fields are too soft in February.  More S goes on here the second application in March.

The purpose of the early application is to maintain or stimulate new tillers.  You don't want them to abort due to a lack of N.  I usually apply 115-125 units of N (50 early to mid Feb. and 70-75 mid March).  The last 2 years haven't been great for top yields due to weather issues such as a wet fall and very late planting, but the previous 5 years only saw 1 go below a 93 bu. farm average.  I am very partial to 28% streamed on wheat.  It will be more quickly available if you don't get a rain soon after application.  It is also more precise that dry applications through a spinner.

As for fungicides, timing is vital for head scab control and head scab is the biggest risk for major yield reduction and test weight losses.  The head must be protected and the optimum timing is head emergence, but pre pollen shed.  There may be some new choices this year for head scab, but I've used Caramba in the past at 10 oz. and added a generic Folicur at 3 oz. to the mix.  I plan to check prices and see what's available for 2011 before buying.  You will also want to throw in an inexpensive insecticide for armyworms and cereal leaf beetles.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)