AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carbonite and such
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 10/7/2009 02:13 (#874173 - in reply to #874039)
Subject: Re: Carbonite and such

Grand Rapids, MI
I agree that the online backup systems can be a great part of the backup system. I guess the point in my post was that I really haven't seen one that can do it all for you, and certainly many fall short of a complete solution. Still even the most limited of online systems is better than nothing. I am always amazed at the number of users out there playing Russian Roulette with thier data. People it is not if but when your hard drive fails. I just replaced one today on our servers. It was real easy since it was a RAID mirrored disk. I got the warning, pulled the disk, put in another one (10 mins) then started rebuilding the 0+1 array. It took about 1/2 hour unattended to rebuild the array and it was as good as new.

I actually use Mozy for my home computer which mainly just has Quicken for my personal finances and a few personal data files. I burn the data to a disk occasionally. I started using Mozy because I found that I was really not burning backups as often as I should and it would suck to re-enter a months worth of personal financial info. The biggest downside of Mozy I see is that it has no version control, it only keeps the most recent version of a file. If my Quicken data file ever became corrupted and I didn't catch it before the next nightly backup, the backup would be corrupted also.

At work the server has the RAID array as I mentioned. In addition all the data files are in one master directory. I moved things like my Outlook data store to all be in this directory. This directory (less the archived folders) gets sync's with my laptop every time I get to the office and leave. This way I have a full copy for the road even if I am not able to VPN into the server, plus it acts as another daily backup. We burn the data directory to DVD's once a week and move those offsite.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)