AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carbonite and such
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tigger
Posted 10/6/2009 09:53 (#873091 - in reply to #872468)
Subject: RE: Carbonite and such

Iowa

I like the idea of remote storage, but do not like the prospect of another service subscription, another program running in the background of my computer, another proceedure to learn and keep track of, or the cumbersome process of retrieving data.  It would also put my personal stuff in another database.  I understand it is difficult to do if you are using a different computer than the one that was the source of the stored data, especially if the operating system has changed (like it often would happen if you had to replace your computer).  I'm not a real computer whiz, so many of my fears would not be an issue to most others.

If I lost everything in a fire, I'd miss all the stuff on my computer.  But there are only a few things on there that would really make life really difficult if lost.  These would be just a handful of excell and word files, roughly 100kb or smaller.  I'm wondering if I could just email them to a trusted accountant or lawyer.  They usually ask for and get most of this stuff anyway.  Their services are done under a confidentiality agreement.  It would be simple to email them a new copy of a file every time it needed updated.  Most would be updated annually.  Once per month would work for accounting data.  That would seem to be a simple, fast, and easy solution for my purposes.  I have not approached my accountant or others about storing a few of my files.  Would this be a bad idea?  Do any of your business associates store any of your important data for remote backup purposes?  There must be a good (and obvious to everyone but me) reason why it is not a common and well known practice. 

Edited by tigger 10/6/2009 10:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)