AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House building tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

brenmer
Posted 12/18/2016 16:41 (#5707235 - in reply to #5706934)
Subject: RE: House building tips

WC Indiana
I have built about 60 spec houses and 5 houses for ourselves. Not all of my suggestions will save you money, but will make you happier long term.

1. The first thing I change in every floor plan is the garage size. Most floor plans have a 20' X 20' garage. I would make the garage at least 24 feet deep, 27 is better. We always do 3 car garages for resale value. Might not apply to you.

2. Second choose a floor plan with the master bedroom on the ground floor. At some point going upstairs gets old. Again this is very important for resale. No one over 40 wants a bedroom upstairs.

3. Put in plenty of can lights. I could barely live in a house with just one light in living room or office. area. Most of our houses end up with 30 or so can lights. We always put dimmers on the ones in living room. (Good ambience.)

4. Don't get emotionally involved with the house and feel like you have to have the best. This really applies to bathrooms and kitchen. You can really spend money foolishly there. We often use some very low cost cabinets and can't tell the difference. I
would get Delta faucets or equal. We did a house with some Menard's cheapo's and had to replace all of them. As far as roofing, siding, appliances we usually do middle of the price range.

5. From an appearance standpoint a little stone or brick adds a better curb appeal.

6. Be careful how you cool any upstairs rooms. Make sure your HVAC contractor knows his stuff,

7. A bonus room over a garage and/or a basement are usually pretty cheap square footage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)