AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Been looking at "first combine" and "first grain bin" posts on Cafe, what about computers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Hayburner
Posted 2/18/2010 02:19 (#1080503 - in reply to #1080467)
Subject: RE: Been looking at "first combine" and "first grain bin" posts on Cafe, what about computers?

Highplainsnotillr - 2/17/2010 23:49First computer that I owned was an IBM AT clone -- 6 Mhz 286, 10 Mb hard drive (full height 5.25) and a Viewsonic VGA monitor -- At that point I had a better computer at home than I had a work.

HA. I remember one computer I liked at work was a 286, 2 Mhz with a 4Mhz turbo button. I never understood what anyone would run other than turbo.

Spent quite a bit of time working on UNIX workstations for several years when PC's really lagged the power curve as far as graphics and computing power capability -- I remember using a Sun workstation in about 1988 that the company I worked for upgraded from 4Mb of ram to 8Mb -- right at $5,000 to do that -- just north of $1200 /Mb.

Suns were/are spendy. We had several at work a few years ago. Always had to have contract support come out to fix a CPU or memory. When it came time to upgrade the memory, it didn't take long for management to figure out it was much cheaper to upgrade 5-6 workstations from Sun to IBM workstations running Red Hat Linux. It was cheaper to buy one work station than paying to upgrade the memory for one Sun box.

We had a couple big HP data servers running Unix. Where they were installed in the cabinet, there were counter weights on the back. I still have them mounted on the back of my skid loader as weights.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)