AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Been looking at "first combine" and "first grain bin" posts on Cafe, what about computers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Highplainsnotillr
Posted 2/18/2010 00:49 (#1080467 - in reply to #1079572)
Subject: RE: Been looking at "first combine" and "first grain bin" posts on Cafe, what about computers?

Western CO
First computer used was the mainframe at Colorado State using punch cards as input -- for the life of me I can't remember what those machines were.

Next was some HP desktops that were made specifically for the test equipment in the EE labs -- 8 inch floppys for removable media, and pen plotters for graphical output.

First computer at a job was a Commodore 64 at Rockwell in Southern CA -- running circuit simulations in SPICE using a cassette tape drive for programs and data. Thought we had really moved up when the first IBM PC showed up -- 5.25 single sided floppies (anyone remember using a "double sided" disk with the single sided drives by cutting out the write protect slot with a special little punch).

First computer that I owned was an IBM AT clone -- 6 Mhz 286, 10 Mb hard drive (full height 5.25) and a Viewsonic VGA monitor -- At that point I had a better computer at home than I had a work.

From there my PC's at home were pretty much a little of this and a little of that. I remember talking with some friends once and they asked my wife what kind of PC we had -- She just said "it's a Heinz 57" :-)

Spent quite a bit of time working on UNIX workstations for several years when PC's really lagged the power curve as far as graphics and computing power capability -- I remember using a Sun workstation in about 1988 that the company I worked for upgraded from 4Mb of ram to 8Mb -- right at $5,000 to do that -- just north of $1200 /Mb.

Still have a Pentium IV running Windows XP --

About three years ago moved to Mac's -- typing this on my aluminum cased macbook, also have a 21" iMac on my desk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)