AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adding a hydraulic thumb on an excavator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

FJS
Posted 5/5/2021 21:02 (#8989346 - in reply to #8988864)
Subject: RE: Adding a hydraulic thumb on an excavator

Tomball,Texas
dave morgan - 5/5/2021 15:32

MaineFarmer - 5/5/2021 03:54

Friend just had top of the line put on his 210 volvo,,,25k ok was 6 months ago so maybe 30k,his lines and valves were there,I put an after market mechanical on an older Kobelco,worked ok but twisted it when employee was using it wrong,seems it was 3K ish though.

We've had both here, from clearing Hackberry trees to cleaning up buildings, etc, I much rather use a mechanical thumb...Too much to go wrong with hyd lines and cylinder when piling stumps on a burning brush pile for no more than it helps me...I did break out on the mech thumb tho, so maybe that is why...Get the thumb set right, then only need to track forward or back a bit to get the opening right..

Going to something cheap is asking for trouble if able to forget about being cool and get used to running a mech thumb...Spend the money for a T-1 steel thumb to match your most useful bucket with long teeth..I use a 4 ft bucket on a 45,000 lb. machine...Stiff leg is adjustable, however there is only one angle that works best..

Dave it’s got a mechanical thumb on it now that’s adjustable and you’re right there’s only one position that it really works good in.
I’ve done a fair amount of clearing with it and it does fine,the only thing that got me interested in putting the hydraulic thumb on is that I came across one pretty reasonably priced.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)