AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

McAfee AV & firewall software question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 5/4/2009 08:30 (#702532 - in reply to #702350)
Subject: Re: McAfee AV & firewall software question

Ron, like you I'm a farmer not a computer geek so I have to listen to others for any computer know how. My old computer had Norton, this was several years ago. I read & had heard that Norton slowed computers way down and was told McAfee was thew way to go so I made the switch. I really couldn't see much difference in the way my computer operated.

About 5 years ago I bought a new desktop that came with Norton. Once again I start asking questions, on here & other places & people and learned about SpyBot Search & Destroy & AVGFree. I checked a couple computer magazines & websites & found Norton & McAfee to be rated at the bottom for AVs with AVG being one of the highe rated AVs at the time so I removed the Norton & downloaded SpyBot & AVGFREE. Never had any problems that I know of but a couple years ago I got to worrying about how good AVGFREE really was. So along with some persuasion from AVG I went to a paid version of AVG which was suppose to be better.

That version was always asking me questions when ever a program tried to download an uodate or if I wanted to allow changes. Like I said, I'm a farmer not a computer expert so never knew if I was answering the questions right or not. Back in Feb my subscription expired so Iwent back to the free version. Not smart enough to know if I made the right decision or not but so far no problems.

Also in Feb, I bought a new HP laptop at my wife's insistence before we went on vacation. Evidently she didn't want me to go thru NAT withdrawal. :~)). It came with a 3 month trial version of Norton. I wonder what it is with Norton that evrey computer I have boughten has come with Norton? Either they are in the computer maker's pockets or vice versa or they have a good av. Whichever, I don't know but what I have read it appears to be one of the formers.

The first of this month my laptop became terribly slow getting to the point it was practically impossible to use. I decide it must be from the Notorn av so I remove it & download SpyBot & AVGFREE, after all they have worked good for me on my laptop. A couple weeks ok my laptop lost it's sound so I took it back to Best Buy where I bought it. The Geeks Squad calls & says that they are going to have to send it in to HP and by the way I have no antivirus. I say "What? I have Spybot & AVG". Guy say he has never heard of SpyBot & for whatever reason AVG either isn't there or not working and besides it's a poor excuse for an av. He then proceeds to recomend "Kaspercia" or something like that.

OK, I have rambled on for awhile & not really said a lot other than like yourself I am confused as to what is & isn't a good antivirus. You ask 10 different people & you'll get about as many different answers. Sorta like when I have to call the State Board of Accounts as twp trustee. I figure if I talk to three different ones I'll get four different answers because one will change their minds while yo're talking to them.

When you find something that works will you please let me know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)