AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Benefits/Pitfalls of a guaranteed basic income as proposed by the Canadian government
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 3/2/2021 10:34 (#8867900 - in reply to #8867832)
Subject: RE: Benefits/Pitfalls of a guaranteed basic income as proposed by the Canadian government

Kettle Moraine, WI
+1 (speaking as a US resident)

The government will not shrink, it will only metastitize.

Another concept is to do guaranteed income via reverse income tax. Everyone files tax return and the lower income get tax refund plus supplement to get to the minimum income. (May even be a monthly refund/supplement like new stimulus bill's child care credit monthly payment). This should then replace all food, housing, and minimum health care programs. State and local governments should shrink the fastest.

I believe we need to tax all income (welfare, benefits, company health insurance, etc) and shift the employer share of SS/medicare tax into employee paychecks. At that point of everything taxed we can then find zero and work a number for true tax amount. Against the argument that benefits shouldn't be taxed I say to that is only when you take tax from someone do they realize a smaller government would benefit them to keep most of there money because right now beneficiaries have no vested interest in restraining government spending.

I have not looked at Canadian minimum living payment scheme, but what I know of the concept in European country is it favors the Never Wanna Work Party and guarantees their votes.

While I am rambling I would add a smaller government will never happen in my lifetime. If half the employees moved into the private sector, they would disrupt the workforce with their superior abilities over in place workers and management. But if that is not the reason why is the government continue employing less than the best?

Edited by thinkstoomuch 3/2/2021 10:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)