AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

questions about tile......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

vickruse
Posted 3/1/2021 12:34 (#8865922 - in reply to #8865778)
Subject: RE: questions about tile......

SE Iowa
Soil type and slope. Very flat, little slope requires tighter spacings. Most new tile around here are 40 or 50 feet, 40 more often then 50. I've done both and in a wet spring even 40 is too far apart. A neighbor just plowed in 160 acres of 3 inch on 30' but they go less deep then with 4 inch on 40' I would rather use 4 inch because cost difference is minimal and deeper is better if worried about deep tillage ruining them. More slope a guy could get by with wider spacing. Old tile lines were much wider, some of mine are 66' ( 4 rods) and 99' (6 rods) and too shallow. They are better then nothing but those on 99' we just redid with 40' and deeper. Tile too shallow will plug sooner too. Also have areas on slopes that are not pattern tiled but just tiled out wet spots or spouts. 20' or 30' spacing gets real expensive but I can imagine there is a need to go that close in some soils. If there is a need, I don't think you can tile to close together except a dry year may hurt you. Droughts are when tile tend to plug too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)