AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Man what a week this has been
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FJS
Posted 2/21/2021 09:15 (#8848201 - in reply to #8848071)
Subject: RE: Man what a week this has been

Tomball,Texas
Pvafarm - 2/21/2021 08:14

Hey FJ, so glad you and the family pulled it all off this week! We were thinking about you often. I know many could have been spared the hell that happened down there if they would have had a clue what extended periods of way below freezing weather could do. I suppose it’s easy to just blow it off and think it’ll be ok enough. Here when the weather is forecast in early fall to go down into the 20’s and we winterize sprayers or make sure they are inside, garden hoses get disconnected, hydrants turned off, etc. it’s just second nature for this yearly occurrence. Take care and get some rest this week!

I left out a lot of little things in my post,of course there were a few things that I didn’t get to because there was so much to get ready,heck I’ve never “winterized” a sprayer but Friday I drained all the pumps and booms on the floater trucks checked antifreeze in engines of everything with one of the little testers that have the balls in them,only had one engine that would’ve got KO’ed,on one of my dry spreader trucks back in July I was spreading fertilizer on a place and the little coolant hose that goes to the air compressor cracked and leaked all the coolant out, I shortened the hose and reused it and filled the radiator with a water hose and finished the job,glad I tested that one because I forgot about it.
I have the big wood heater and a Dearborn propane heater in the house so heat wasn’t an issue in my house but the power was out and no running water in the house,I get in late Tuesday night,I’m in my long johns passed out in my recliner,no shower in a couple days Carla gives me earful “I know the dairy and feedmill are important but with all sh@t you have and we don’t have electricity and running water” all I could say was I don’t need electricity to sleep for a few hours.I don’t think I was home over 5 hours in row the whole week and most of that was at night.I am going fix up a generator for the house,I have a few small ones that would run the lights but it seems like when there’s power outages from hurricanes and weather problems I’m not home enough to make it a priority for me,Carla deserves better than that,it’s on my list of things to do.
Over all we made it through with minimal problems and the problems we did have were because I dropped what I was doing Saturday afternoon to go get a couple dump truck loads of sand to mix with the salt and spent 1/2 of Sunday in Houston spreading it.
I know dad would’ve been proud of my brothers and myself for not missing a beat getting the work done but I’m glad he wasn’t here to see the milk go to waste.

Edited by FJS 2/21/2021 09:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)