AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

batteries for electrical storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

junk fun
Posted 2/20/2021 11:08 (#8846547 - in reply to #8846421)
Subject: RE: batteries for electrical storage

Wisconsin
yes, batteries can backfeed the grid. Tesla has advertised that for years. they produce many consumer level battery packs, they installed a grid scale battery for an isolated Australian grid not too many years ago if I remember.

On the other hand, I don't know of any electric car batteries or tesla wall batteries that are actually backfeeding the grid. Doesn't make any sense to do it without a smart grid, you'd be doing a good thing for the grid with no compensation. Solar panels typically either charge batteries in an off grid, or feed the grid with no batteries with a grid tied inverter. Not both typically. A smart grid would communicate the instantaneous price with the consumers and they (or their devices) would consume and supply power based on that price. Would make a huge difference in enabling a more stable grid.

Some consumers in TX are finding that their "bargain" electric plan is no bargain when they pay wholesale price on the spot market, and don't pay attention to the price and cut back their consumption in turn. I would assume they had some warning that they would be paying higher prices at some point. I don't know if they were charged a monthly average, or hourly price where they had some control to turn off the demand at high price points.

In the bigger picture, using batteries to stabilize the grid is an EXTREMELY SHORT TERM solution, that is, it will stabilize the grid when the sun sets but power demand is still high for a bit, or when a storm rolls through and a few trees go down, or an unexpected generation issue happens. It will not substitute for a big pile of coal and winterized power plants when you get a week long colds spell. Batteries will make that situation worse, just like windpower did. If you don't believe wind power contributed disproportionately to the TX situation, you're never going to understand facts. The Alaska battery example will last seven MINUTES. They refer to it as "spinning reserve". I believe the term "spinning reserve" comes from steam power plants (coal or nuclear) where the flywheel of the generator is the reserve that stabilizes the grid on the second and minute scale. Expensive to maintain that spinning mass, until you consider the alternatives. Gas turbines ramp up faster, and are cheaper to maintain in many ways, but they don't have the same "spinning reserve". Nor do they have big piles of coal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)